GRADUATE TUITION is REDUCED
for educators for Spring & Summer 2021 Learn more at this link
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers several graduate degrees, certifications, endorsements, and Rank I program. (see list below)
Most of our degrees are offered 100% online. Check out Eastern Kentucky University Online for more information about our online offerings.
Prospective graduate students must meet the admissions requirements of the Graduate School and, in most cases, must have an active state EPSB certification.
For more information about Graduate Programs please contact: Dr. Eileen Shanahan, Graduate Coordinator. Phone 859 622-9978.
Master of Arts in Education (MAED)
- MAEd in Elementary Education
- MAEd in Gifted Education
- MAEd in School Media Librarian
- MAEd in Middle Grade Education
- MAEd in Literacy
- MAEd in Secondary Education
- MAEd in Special Education
Rank I Programs
- Rank I programs are 30 hour graduate programs for certified teachers who already hold a master’s degree/Rank II certification. These non-degree programs lead to a pay raise in Kentucky public schools.
- NOTE - non-degree Rank I programs do NOT qualify for financial aid. If you wish to earn a Rank I pay raise and use financial aid for your courses, chose a 2nd master's degree.
- RANK 1 – Elementary and Middle Grade Education
- RANK 1 – Secondary Education and P-12
- RANK 1 – Library Science
- Earn a 2nd master's degree - see choices above.
Certificate Preparation Programs
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Certification
- Director of Special Education Certification - Effective January 2021, EKU is no longer accepting application for the Director of Special Education program. Students who have an up-to-date program plan that has been approved by their advisor will be able to complete their certification. The final remaining courses for this program will be taught during the Summer 2021 semester.
- Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education Certification
- Learning and Behavior Disorders
- Moderate and Severe Disabilities Certification
- ESL (Grades P-12) Endorsement
- Gifted Education (Grades P-12) Endorsement
- Literacy Specialist (Grades P-12) Endorsement
- Teacher Leader Endorsement Instruction
- Courses required for each of the endorsements listed above
- for those seeking to earn initial teacher certification in a graduate program
- MAT Elementary Education
- MAT Middle Grades 5-9
- MAT Secondary Education
- MAT P-12 Programs
- MAT Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education (IECE)
- MAT Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH) and DHH with Sign Proficiency